Following from the raglan dress I recently made for my friend, I explored this technique further by applying it to a longer sleeve and the result was a raglan jacket for myself.
The pattern started off with the pleats on the raglan sleeve as this was the main feature. There is no seam connecting the front part of the sleeve and the back as this has been taken in by the pleats. I had to cut the pattern off at the elbow as the raglan sleeve was already more than a metre long. The middle line of this pattern is what was the seam from the front and back pieces.
I then started to draw the style line on the body and decided where the pocket was going. I also wanted the neckline to be on the top of my neck so I draped the pattern on a dummy to get the exact contour.
My fabric options was either a tweedy wool or a felt type wool but I saw this remnant imperial wool fabric for sale with a texture like neoprene and I thought it would great to work with a new material. Seeing how well this material worked with the design, I am tempted to get more but found out that this type of wool is usually only sold to the Middle Eastern market.
I’ve also put in this post a picture of my bad luck-good results shirt. A wonderful shirt I made for myself which I managed to ruin by washing it with a pair of red trousers! After bleaching it white, I decided to colour it blue but with an ombre effect.
It worked quite well that the lining of the jacket above was done using the same technique but with tea as the dye.